Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mike 2600 "Ready to Rock" EP



A couple of weeks ago I ran across this blog CrossFaded Bacon and found this really dope EP from Mike 2600. I had heard of dude from the Soul Strut forum and his awesome artwork and I had heard some mixes before and wasen't all that impressed with them, but I hadn't heard his production yet so I thought I would give it a listen. After I downloaded the song and checked it out I was really impressed, "Gigolo Rhythm" reminds me of Dj Day's "Gone Bad" or something from A.S.S. back catalog. I went and downloaded the whole EP and I like how it is kinda Old School and he uses some really unique samples. I haven't been finding a lot of breaks recently that excited me and this finally made me want to seek them out again. I also included my re-edit "Rumble", and remember to seek out the whole EP, it's well worth your time.

Mike 2600 "Gigolo Rhythm" (320 Mediafire)

Mike 2600 "Rumble" (Rockmaster Rus B Edit)

Check out his myspace

http://www.myspace.com/mikethe2600king

"Starting off as a college radio DJ in St. Louis, Mike learned his way around a pair of turntables and began building his record collection, spinning at parties on campus and around the city. In 1999, he released "Yars' Revenge," a 4-track mixtape of funk breaks, scratch routines, and Black Sabbath and Sesame Street samples.

In the years to follow, Mike linked up with Doug Surreal, Bitch Ass Darius, and other St. Louis DJs to form the Litterthugz crew, with whom he spun at clubs, parties, and DJ battles around the Midwest, was twice nominated as St. Louis' best hip hop DJ, and released the T.A.B.L.A.M.F.C.B. 12", a barrage of cut-and-paste jeep beats, as well as a slew of acclaimed mix CDs including the funk and psychedelic workout "Heavy Session."

Now residing in Minneapolis, Mike can be found cutting up funk, disco, classic hip hop, oldies, Miami Bass, and '80s rock and R&B at parties and clubs around town, opening up for acts such as Peanut Butter Wolf, Madlib, The Rub, Spankrock, Atmosphere, DJ Steinski, and Prince Paul."

No comments:

Post a Comment